There are several different types of septic systems such as Gravity Systems, Pressure Distribution Systems, Mound Systems, Aerobic Treatment Units (ATU), Sand Filter Systems, Drip Irrigation systems and even more. But in this article, we will be discussing Aeration Type Septic Systems.
An Aeration Type System is one that uses natural processes to treat waste water from your home. To be an Aeration type septic system, technically all that is required is to add an aerator to an existing system. That was how the first ones were. Today there is much better technology and engineers have developed what are commonly known as Aerobic Septic Systems.
Aerobic Septic Systems
The one main difference between Aerobic septic systems and other septic systems is that aerobic systems need air. Their signature part is the aerator. An aerator is a device used to disperse air into the waist of the septic tank. Most aerators inject air into the center of the tank with an air pump attached to a hose that is then attached to an air diffuser or near the bottom of the tank.
The aerator allows air to rise up through the waist so that the micro organisms that all need air to do their work can be activated. Aerobic bacteria thrive in an oxygen rich environment; when they thrive with lots of oxygen, the break down the waist material in the septic tank faster.
Advantages of Aeration Types
There are main advantages of an aerobic septic system when compared to the many other types of septic systems available. Here are a few of the Aeration Type Septic System’s most prominent advantages:
• Because of the air injected into the tank, micro organisms that process waist are able to do their job faster than in other septic systems.
• Aeration type systems are, in a way, self cleaning. The fast acting organisms break down waist fast enough to keep it from overfilling the tank or turning into something that cannot be broken down.
• Longer life if the system because of the first two advantages listed here is perhaps one of the most important advantages to consumers.
• A great alternative for areas where other systems will not work.
• Requires a smaller draining field than other types of septic systems.
• Treated water is less harmful to the body of water it eventually is exposed to.
• Works in conditions where normal septic tanks will often fail.
Disadvantages of Aeration Type Septic Systems
As with anything that has many advantages, there are also a few disadvantages when compared to other septic systems. The most pronounced cons are:
• They cost more and are more expensive to maintain than a basic septic system without an aerator.
• Aeration systems have moving parts where other don’t, so they are sometimes more likely to break down.
• More routine maintenance is required to keep them up than other septic systems.
As you can see, there are many advantages to using an aeration type septic system instead of an ordinary non-aerated system. If you are willing to spend a few extra dollars on your septic system, you will enjoy much more efficient water treatment facility in your back yard.
The water coming out of the system is cleaner and has less ammonia than non-aerated systems. Therefore, the smell should be noticeable less than other types of septic systems.
When all is said and done, an aerator in your septic system is worth the investment. It could actually save you a bit of money over the long run. If you keep it up properly, you should never have to pay someone to come out and suck out your tank, which costs a small fortune as those of you that have had it done may already know. However, it is very important to keep the system maintained.
You should have a routine maintenance schedule, maybe every few months or so. Don’t let it go and forget about it because when they stop working and back up, it is not a pretty site and the smell can be horrible. A good addition to your system is an alarm that alerts the home owner when anything is wrong with the system.
Many systems come with some sort of alarm installed, but many do not. If yours doesn’t have one, you should get one because quickly solving any problems will save a lot of money and frustration.