The curb appeal of any home can add untold cash onto their value because it can grab the attention of those viewing the property and draw them in. If you are not considering selling your home then the same principle still applies because all homeowners want to make the most of their homes. As such, you have to take good care of your front yard and your driveway.
Although most people do take the time to tend to the former, they often forget about maintenance of the latter until weeds have begun to grow and cracks have started to significantly extend. Neither one of these occurrences bodes well for the state of your driveway so looking into asphalt driveway repair is essential.
Driveway Repair for Beginners
Asphalt driveway repair does not have to be performed by an expert in order to be met with success. In fact, you can do it yourself quite easily when you know how. Repairing asphalt driveways is not as easy as repairing other types of driveway because asphalt is far more specialised and definitely more difficult to get a hold of.
You do not need hot asphalt, which is how your driveway would have been laid in the first place. Instead, all you need is patching compound, although choosing between the crack fillers and cold patches is a little more difficult. This is especially true given the fact that the air temperature has to be correct in order for the asphalt driveway repairs to set properly.
Asphalt driveway repair products are indeed readily available and you should read up on those that are your best options via consumer reviews and hardware store recommendations. You will need to know what type of repair you need to perform though because specific products are designed for specific repairs.
For example, some are for small cracks of half an inch or less whereas others are designed for much larger cracks. After you have chosen the appropriate product, you must read the label because you could cause more damage to your driveway if you fail to do so.
Now you have our products for asphalt driveway repair and have read all of the instructions that are specific to that particular product, then you will need to figure out how to do the repair without doing further damage to your driveway. By following the simple and easy steps outlined below, you can effectively and easily repair your asphalt driveway in no time at all.
1. Assess your driveway and locate all of the areas in need of asphalt driveway repair. Meticulously pull out all of the weeds that are growing in and around the cracks. Be sure to pull up all roots as well as the leaves on the weeds to ensure that there is no further damage after repair.
2. Clean the cracks well. A spray with the hose should be sufficient for this but if you do not have a hose then using a watering can to wet the crack and a cloth to wipe around it should be sufficient.
3. Apply weed killer to the crack to make sure that there is no chance of it growing back.
4. Fill the crack with sand to approximately a quarter inch from the surface. If the crack is no deeper than a half inch, do not both with the sand as it will not be necessary. Tamp the sand down and make sure that it is well packed.
5. Apply the patching compound or relevant product for asphalt driveway repair. Fill the crack to the surface and make sure that it is completely level before leaving it to cure.
6. Apply sealant when the repair has completely cured to ensure that it is secure and does not present a weakness.