Circuit breakers are a form of overcurrent protector; they interrupt electrical circuits which receive excess current in order to prevent high heat from resistance which may cause a fire. Overcurrent conditions can happen when too much load is attached to the circuit and power demand becomes too high. Other causes include lightning striking the power company’s wiring or service conductors and sending a power surge through your home’s wiring, and faulty insulation or broken connections allowing electricity to flow through the entire circuit without passing through a load, a condition known as a short circuit.
Lead abatement involves the removal of lead based paint in a home. It is a costly proposition, and if the paint is in good condition, not peeling or flaking, and not liable to be chewed on by pets or children, then it can be left as is.
But if you have had lead testing done, and the results indicate you should need to take action, you will have to decide on whether to have a professional contractor do the removal job, or do it yourself. Before you decide on the latter, there are a few things to consider.
Children, particularly under six years of age are the most at risk from exposure to lead in the household. This is because their metabolism and breathing are at higher rates than adults and so they can potentially absorb higher levels of this toxin through the lungs and intestinal lining, at a time when their bodies are developing and more susceptible to damage.
Most commonly, lead poisoning comes from soil and dust with lead from paint in it.
Until the 1970’s, when it’s use was regulated by government agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency and Occupational Safety and Health Administration in the U.S, asbestos was found in a wide range of residential construction materials, most notably pipe insulation, roofing, wallboard, flooring and ceiling tiles and electrical insulation.
Asbestos is a fibrous, crystalline form of several types of silicate mineral, chrysotile being the most common.
It is recommended that every home have at least one fire extinguisher, preferably in the kitchen. If possible, one should be located on each floor of the house as well as in potential combustion areas, like the garage, furnace room and storage rooms. Choosing the right kind of fire extinguisher is also important.