The current state of the environment is one of great concern for all the citizens of the world. With our current usage, natural resources such as water, trees and oil are becoming more difficult to attain. With issues such as global warming, dependence on fossil fuels and a population which generally has been wasting a great deal of resources are problems that we must address in order to continue using these resources in the future.
There are a number of things that homeowners can do to protect the environment and the Earth’s natural resources. People can help save the Earth and “go green” by recycling common items such as bottles, cans and plastic. In addition, many homeowners are looking for alternative heating sources, in order to cut the reliance on oil heat. And, homeowners also need to be alert to other ways to save resources such as conserving electricity usage and conserving water usage.
To help homeowners understand household energy conservation and recycling concepts, here is a listing of helpful websites:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle – very helpful government resource on recycling.
- Home Recycling – information on recycling around the house.
- Recycling Kids Page – useful information for children on how they can help around the house to recycle.
- Recycling and Beyond –educational site on how recycling can help the Earth.
- Recycling Facts – helpful information and tips on various materials that can be recycled.
- National Recycling Coalition – group that is dedicated to recycling and recycling education.
Heating & Energy
- Energy Efficiency – government website listing information on energy efficiency.
- Using and Saving Energy – helpful educational site teaching children how to save energy.
- Home Heating Options – information on types of home heating options and potential effect of wood burning alternatives.
- Home Heating Alternatives – information on various alternatives to heating in the home.
- Energy Innovations – site discussing possible monetary incentives for using energy efficient sources.
- Residential Heating and Cooling – useful information on various aspects of heating and cooling in the home.
Electricity & Energy
- Energy Savers – very useful government site listing suggestions on how to save energy.
- Saving Energy – helpful information for homeowners on how they can save energy around the home.
- Energy Saver Tips – information on how to save energy in a home office.
- When to Turn Off Your Lights – useful information on electricity and types of lights.
- Daylight Saving Time – website showing how daylight savings time is helpful in saving energy and electricity.
- We Can Make a Difference – educational website showing how all people can help save energy.
- Energy Savers Tips – information and tips on how to save energy around the home.
- Energy Star Program – overview of the home appliance program aimed at providing energy efficient products.
- Energy and Energy Conservation – collection of useful resources on energy conservation.
- Energy Conservation – helpful resources covering several topics in energy conservation.
- News and Resources – collection of news articles and conservation resources.
- Conservation Resources – information and resources on energy conservation.
- Go Green EPA – governmental resources on initiatives aimed at helping people go green.
- Sustainable Building Materials – list of eco-freindly construction materials.
- Going Green/Saving Green – very helpful information showing how going green can help homeowners save money.
- Three R’s of Going Green – information on how recycling assists going green.
- Go Green – example of what communities are doing to go green and help save the environment.
- Environmental Education – helpful information for kids on how to save the environment.
- Environment – examples of what can be done to help the environment.
Photo by flickr user Kyle MacKenzie