With natural disasters such as hurricanes and flooding people are beginning to look at mold in a whole new way. Mold in a basement is a common problem after floods. To begin with the solution of treating mold in basements, take a look at how mold occurs and spreads.
Mold is found where there is decaying or dying material. This may be found in leaves, waste products such as food and garbage, or even in fabrics. Mold spores are carried through the air and they thrive on moisture to grow. This is why when you combine organic materials and water (such as flooding) you will begin to see a rapid growth of mold.
Basements are hospitable homes to mold growth due to the fact that they have a high humidity, are very moist, and home to many decaying materials such as leaves or debris. Mold in basement can be a serious problem causing respiratory problems for those with allergies or lowered Immune Systems.
One of the best remedies for preventing mold in basement includes using a basement dehumidifier. The dehumidifier will dry up the moisture and make the environment less encouraging for mold to grow. If you find mold on items such as cardboard boxes, it is recommended to simply throw the boxes away instead of treating the mold. Mold found on basement walls may be treated with a bleach solution. If however you have breathing or allergy problems, you may want to either wear a facemask when cleaning the mold or ask someone else to clean the mold for you.
One preventive method is to have your basement waterproofed by a professional company. This is an effective way to seal up areas that are attracting moisture. You should also consider repairing any leaks within the wall. Not only is this a possible mold attractor, but it is also an electrical hazard.
Some other preventative measures that you may take include not carpeting areas where moisture is likely to occur, basements, bathrooms, etc. Also if you find mold under carpeting, the most effective way to treat it is to throw away the carpet. Mold can be cleaned and killed with bleach, but never mix bleach with ammonia. The result can be a dangerous toxic chemical mix. Using air conditioners and dehumidifiers will effectively reduce the amount of moisture in your home.